Thursday, November 26, 2009

COFFEE MOMENTS FIRST PAGE

ANUSHAM WRITES :

COFFEE MOMENTS:

Coffee is one of the charms in my life. May be for others also.But from  my childhood,I enjoyed my coffee
breaks. Fortunately when we were children, there were no chocholate drinks,  or malt varities.But there were homemade kanji mavu. But fortunately my mother did not try them for too long.  Hence we had the enjoyment of drinking coffee in the morning.

Unlike these days coffee mugs were not there. all brass tumblers. later some thirty years back we have seen eversilver tumblers. Along with brass there were weighty vengala tumblers. They will be washed clean and they will looklike golden tumblers, sparkling yellow and poured in with the brown  color coffee with foam,
will be an instant attraction, with the aroma of coffee surrounding you.

The only hurdle for the enjoyment of the first coffee of the day will be  brushing  with karuvelam podi, or gopal  palpodi, and washing your face with cold water, then the important  step of going to pojai room and smear vibuthi over you forehead, and pray  to athu pillayar and other gods, with  enchan namaskaram.

When my mother calls,all of us for coffee we will be ready for the moment, and she will come out from the kitchen to the hall with the grace of a goddess, with  a big vengala uruli, and a karandi, with one of us bringing
the tumblers by her side.

Her grace  and fondness towards us  along with the aroma of coffee will fill the air with joy,
and as she pours coffee in our tumblers,( everyone will have a specific tumbler) we will enjoy drinking them to the last drop, and even  inspect several times inside the tumbler whether a single drop is left out.

Sometimes we will put our finger inside the tumbler, and wipe it  for the left  over coffee spreads  with foam and lick it. That will be yummy

There were times,  when we use to quarrel with our mother for  pouring more coffee to someone of us,
and yet we will not miss our coffee, and drink our coffee with tears rolling down in our eyes...My mother's
favourites will always be jeyaraman and ranjani...

Looking back now, I could  realise , how intelligent, my mother was. She knows when to tap the
favours from my father. One of the  occasion will be the  morning first coffee time. She will always
give the first coffee to him. That will be very special. Unlike for us, it will be prepared with the undiluted
milk, with strong decoction,  sugar added to the measure , my father likes, and at the right temperature.
She will place it before him in the hall, where my father will be  sitting on the floor with a well decorated
wooden box (his  lifetime favourite}  (NO dining tables those days} . He will look very majestic, with vibuthi in his forehead and kumkuma over it. In the morning twlight, with a bulb, (NO tube lights)   in the hall, with my mother by the side of him  is a frozen STILL in my memory.. He will sip every drop, and along with him I will also feel I am drinking the coffee, and my mother will  settle her scores on all her demands.

But  I  also remember that,  my mother  never had coffee with a relaxed  mood. She will always work like a machine attending to all of us (7 children and appa) . She will drink her coffee in the middle of some work
always. Now I feel that I have denied  her coffee  pleasure. May be it is our ignorance on such matters.

coffee moments will continue....


8 comments:

  1. All great moments lead to one's mother....extremely enjoyable--I could picture the scene in front of my eyes- very good description - and also reminded of my childhood coffee days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super appa, very descriptive. i guess the scene at your home has been carried forward and i witness it in our house daily. the coffee scene between u and amma!
    anita through face book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vandana Raman Very well written mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chitappa, the way you have put forth your thoughts in anusham is very nice. I really enjoyed reading it

    suman hariharan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow mama, I loved the rasathu vandal post ! Honestly speaking, I'm 100% agmark unadulterated 'Thelivu Rasam' fan! Schoola irukkum podhu, amma kitta - Rasam vidaradhukku munnadi en kalakkinellnu azhuven :-) But your post makes even vandal rasam tempting !! Will try vandal rasam with mavadu sometime :) Keep the blog going !

    from lavanya viswanath

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usuual nice and expected lines of description. I agree with you that there were no prohibitions for drinking coffee those times, I do not remember when I had my first coffee, but I do remember similar scene, where amma or someone else will have coffee in big uruli and all of had coffee with lots of rationing, always wanting to have more. Also in vivid memory is the coffee grinding shops, which had more magazines than at home (particularly, the cinema ones) and freash coffee after getting the coffee grounds. One big difference in my memory is there was no discrimination as to who gets the best coffee. How did you know the taste of athimber's coffee, did you drink it ever?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ரஞ்சனி காபி டேஸ்ட் நன்னா இருந்தா மட்டுமே
    சாப்பிடுவாள், அம்மா அவளுக்காக ஸ்பெஷல்
    காப்பி செஞ்சு கொடுப்பாள், சாப்பாடு டேஸ்ட்
    அப்பா , மற்றும் சமையல், விமர்சனம் ஜெயராமன்
    கமெண்ட் பொறுத்து அமையும்,சாத்தூர் காபி காட்சி
    கண் முன்னால் கொண்டு வந்து நிறுத்தி இருக்கிறாய்
    காபி நினைவுகள் தரமென்று உள்ளது
    விஜி

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kapi only reminds me of the morning kapi scene between u and mami. I am surprised that mami still has that porumai.. inspite of all thats going around her. Your kapi moments reminds me of the last best kapi I had @ Saravan Bhavan NJ.

    anandhi

    ReplyDelete